We’ve talked about the fly problem that we’ve had in metro Atlanta recently (Facts on Flies) and thought it would be a great time to go over some tips of how to keep the flies away from your home. Check out our tips below:
- Date everything in the refrigerator and clean out on a weekly basis. Fly eggs can be found in foods, especially salad types, bought in a restaurant and stored as leftovers.
- Never put bleach down a drain.
- If the flies are coming in from a dry drain, add water. To prevent evaporation, add vegetable oil in the drain, it will sit on top of the water and form a coating.
- Wipe and clean kitchen area daily. Put dish towels in a covered container when done.
- If shoes are left in a food service area, make sure to clean the bottoms of the shoes daily.
- Most of the small flies stay close to their originating site. Look early in the morning where the flies are hanging out…within a few feet will be the source.
- Biological (bacterial) cleaners or remediation works very well and can extend the life of mops used in its application.
- Keep a calendar of fly activity. Fly infestations tend to run on a specific cycle.
- Call your local pest control company. A company such as Northwest Exterminating can identify the source of your problem and come up with a customized solution.