Conditions will soon be right for overwintering pests to seek comfort and shelter in homes and buildings. Overwintering pests are those pests that seek a warm place to live in the colder months. You want to avoid your home being that place!
As we’ve said many times before on this blog…prevention is key. It is much easier to prevent bugs from entering than to get rid of them once they are present.
- Seal or caulk all cracks and crevices around foundation, siding, doors, windows, electrical, and plumbing.
- Use tight fitting insect screens on foundations and attic vents.
- Keep gutters cleaned out. Pests feed and make homes out of the built up debris.
- Keep a clean home. Vacuum, sweep, mop, and clean up spills that will attract pests to your home.
- Clean up yard by raking, keeping grass cut, and picking up debris in the yard.
- Get regularly scheduled pest control. Regular scheduled pest control will prevent bugs from coming in and will make it easier to control any pest problems that arise.
Common household pests that overwinter:
Along with winterizing your home from pests, call Northwest Exterminating to help provide treatments that will reduce the number of pests this fall, winter, and even into spring.