October’s Pest of the Month – Spiders
Don’t Let Spiders Hang Around Your House
Is it the rain or do spiders instinctively know that it’s Halloween because they are everywhere!
House spiders are the most common spiders found indoors. They are usually more of a nuisance rather than a threat.
- Yellowish brown to dirty white in color
- Spotted abdomen
- Web sites are chosen just beyond air currents in places like behind doors and in the corners of hallways.
- If no prey is found they abandon their site.
- They do not survive long in low humidity homes.
- Higher survival rates are in areas such as garages, sheds, barns, basements, crawl spaces, and other areas where humidity is higher and there is more prey.
- They can be found indoors in upper corners, under furnishings, closets, window frames, basements, and crawl spaces.
- They can be found outdoors around windows, under eaves, and near light sources which attract their prey.
House spiders typically carry no threats.
- Black Widow
- Brown Recluse
- Orb Weaver
- Seal cracks and crevices around the home that spiders could use as entry points into a structure.
- Use screened windows and doors.
- Vacuum frequently to remove any spiders, eggs, and webs.
- Reduce available food.
OTHER PESTS TO LOOK OUT FOR
- Kudzu Bugs
- Stink Bugs
- Stored Product Pests