Termites are some of the hardest working pests in the business. 24/7 they are in search of food which is oftentimes the wood from our homes. Termites are responsible for an estimated amount of over 2 billion dollars worth of damage to home in the US each year.
One of the first signs of a termite infestation is spotting termite swarmers. Swarmers are winged termites that are often mistaken for flying ants. Swarming (flying) termites have only 2 body segments, straight antennae, and 2 sets of wings equal in length. Flying ants, on the other hand, have 3 body segments, bent antennae, and 2 sets of wings that differ in length. Mud tunnels or tubes along the foundation are also signs that termites have found their way to your home.
The best action against termites is to be proactive.
- Divert water away from the foundation of your property.
- Reduce humidity, especially in areas like attics, basements, and crawlspaces.
- Keep all wood at least 20 feet away from your home and at least 5 inches off the ground. Termites are known to travel in tunnels underground.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches away from the foundation.
- Call Northwest Exterminating at the first sign of termites. Termite infestations need immediate action by a licensed pest professional.