Millipedes are often referred to as thousand leggers. They are normally a beneficial insect as they help decompose leaf litter and grass clippings.
- Common problem in homes when a state experiences an unusually wet Spring season
- Frequently found in mulch and yards with a heavy build-up of thatch
- During wet weather, populations can build up to incredible numbers
- Mass migration into the home can occur
- Good cultural practices around the home and in the yard helps prevent large populations from developing eliminates some of their food sources and destroys harborage sites
- Ongoing, professional pest control around the exterior of the home limits population growth through the use of granular pesticide applications and perimeter spray treatments