Sometimes referred to as “Mahogany Flats”, bed bugs go through several life changes to become adults and require blood meals at each stage. Bed bugs feed on the blood of warm bodied animals, such as humans however, they only require 4 meals a year.
- The eggs are several millimeters and clear to whitish in appearance
- Brown in color but turn a reddish brown after a feeding
- As adults, they are about the size of an eraser on a pencil
- Bed bugs harbor in cracks and crevices during the day and come out for their blood feedings at night
- Hence their name, they are often found in beds among the mattress, box springs, rails, frame, headboard and footboard
- Can live in hospitals, hotels, and public transportation
- They have an affinity for 80% humidity and 80 degrees Fahrenheit
- Although bites can be painless, most people develop small red bumps on their skin as an allergic reaction to the saliva in injected.
- Have been found to be infected with approximately 25 difference diseases.
- Necessity of a complete and thorough treatment by a professional pest control company
- Vacuum and clean infected area paying close attention to cracks and crevices.
- Clean bed frame, including baseboard and headboard with a mixture of rubbing alcohol and hot water
- Use a mattress cover for mattress, box spring and pillows.
- Seal shoes, linens and clothing in plastic bags to sit in hot area