The end of summer is nearing and what better time to begin your fall lawn care than now! The cooler temperatures and shorter days make it easier for your grass to absorb nutrients and water. The soil is also still loose enough to allow for aeration. Ensure your lawn is healthy all winter long by following these tips:
- Aerate your lawn before fall gets here. Aeration helps to improve the drainage of your soil and allows for more oxygen to reach the roots of your grass. You can rent an aerator from a local garden center or contact your local lawn care company!
- Overseed your lawn. Depending on your grass type, if your lawn is thin or patchy, you can overseed it in the fall. This will help to thicken your lawn and make it more resistant to winter damage.
- Control weeds. Weeds can be a problem in the fall, so it is important to control them before they go to seed. You can use a weed killer or pull them by hand.
By following these fall lawn care tips, you can ensure a healthy lawn all season long. Here are some additional tips for fall lawn care:
- Clean your gutters and downspouts. This will help to prevent water damage to your foundation and lawn. We recommend redirecting the downspouts away from the grass if possible.
- Prune your trees and shrubs. This will help to improve air circulation and reduce the risk of winter damage.
- Rake up leaves and debris from your lawn. Leaves can smother your grass and create a breeding ground for pests.
If caring for your lawn feels like a burden, be sure to give your local lawn care company a call today for a healthy lawn all year long!