Fire ants get their name through their ability to inflict painful bites and stings. They vary considerably in size and build large raised mounds in lawn areas. One interesting fact about fire ants is they have been known to infest electrical boxes en masses, causing the equipment to malfunction.
- Build nests in soil near structural foundations or in landscaping.
- Nests can be between 2 and 4 square feet in size.
- Although they typically make their nests outside, they can enter structures through HVAC systems, electrical lines, and even under siding.
- Argentine ants
- Carpenter ants
- Odorous house ants
- Pavement ants
- Crazy ants
- Acrobat ants
- Produce a painful sting when they feel threatened.
- Sting results in a painful, raised bump.
- Often receive more than one sting at a time.
- Devastates local insect populations and small wildlife when it invades an area.
- Many grouse and ground nesting bird species have been eliminated by fire ants when they attack newly hatched nestlings.
- Avoid fire ant mounds.
- Seal all entry points into a structure.
- Contact a licensed pest professional if you have fire ant nests in your lawn.
Other pests to look out for:
- Other species of ants listed above
Fire ants are a common problem for homeowners in Atlanta and other southeastern cities. They can be found in the yard and should be a concern for homeowners. Fire ants can be difficult to get rid of once they have moved onto your property and have built their colonies. They are an aggressive species and will bite and sting if they feel that they, or their colony, is being threatened. A fire ant’s bite or sting can be painful and cause serious health risks to you, your family, and pets. You and your family should be able to enjoy your yard freely without the concern of stumbling across a fire ant mound.
Because fire ants can be difficult to get rid of and carry a health risk, Northwest Exterminating recommends using a professional exterminating company to ensure the fire ant colonies are treated effectively. Northwest Exterminating’s Fire Ant Control program reduces fire ant colonies within 24 to 72 hours. Our treatment even targets the colonies located underground. Other products used by companies take up to 30 days to control fire ants, require immediate irrigation to work, can be harmful to your family and pets, and may require over 80 pounds of product to be effective.
In the summer, you don’t have 30 days to spare to enjoy your yard!
Benefits of Northwest Exterminating’s Fire Ant Control Service:
- We use Dupont’s AdvionTM, the fastest acting fire ant bait on the market.
- The bait is ingested by the fire ant, controlling the colony within 24-72 hours.
- Entire yard is treated to wipe out all colonies, even the ones underground.
- Application is environmentally friendly to your family and pets.
Have you had a run-in with a fire ant mound?