South Florida Pest Control: Identifying Silverfish
While silverfish are harmless to humans, if infested, they can become a huge nuisance to your home! These pests are prevalent in most Lauderhill, Florida homes and once they get inside, it’s hard to eliminate them as they can live up to 8 years and reproduce frequently. Learn more about these common household pests and how you can prevent silverfish below.
Why Silverfish Infest
These pests look to our homes mainly for food sources and a warm place to inhabit. They tend to eat sugary substances and will eat books, wallpaper, shirts, clothes, and even photographs! They will also look to lay their eggs in an environment they thrive in, seeking out dark, moist hidden areas of homes, such as our basements or attics.
How to Prevent Silverfish
Silverfish are known to rapidly reproduce, making it harder to get rid of if you do end up spotting these creatures inside. Luckily, there are some easy do-it-yourself preventative measures to place throughout your home.
- Keep dry food in your pantry with tightly sealed containers
- Dust your home often as certain particles can contain starches
- Store your clothes in a dry environment
- Utilize caulk to seal cracks, holes, or openings
- Consider investing in a dehumidifier to reduce the humidity inside your home
- Remove piles of brush, old plants, wood, and leaves
How to Eliminate Silverfish
Even after you’ve placed preventative measures throughout your home and they are still infesting, it could be time for some professional help. Your local South Florida pest control company will be able to set you up with a comprehensive treatment and prevention plan.