It’s not breaking news that mold in a home is dangerous to those living in it. But with a recent study, they found that exposure to mold before the age of seven greatly increases a child’s risk of developing asthma. Genetics are important to consider in the risks of asthma. A child is more likely to develop asthma if their parents have it also.
The major focus of the study was exposure to molds during infancy and later childhood and the development of asthma. After they reviewed the results they concluded that there was a connection between dampness and/or mold and asthma. 577 homes that had an infant of 1 year old living there was assessed. For every home picked with a detection of mold or water damage a home without mold or water damage was also picked. The study investigated the association between asthma and allergic sensitivity to molds, cat, dog and dust mites. At the age of 7, 31 of 176 of those children were found to be asthmatic. Children that were living in a home with mold or water damage at a year old had more than twice the risk of developing asthma. The final recommendation was to minimize the exposure to molds. Removing mold and dampness from these homes resulted in a significant amount of reductions in hospital visits for children’s asthma.
Mold can be found almost anywhere that moisture is present. Just like a plant, molds create tiny spores and begin to reproduce. Mold spores constantly float through the air and when they land, they begin to grow.
Tips on how to eliminate mold in your home:
- Clean up any existing mold with soap and water. Let the area dry completely.
- Eliminate sources of moisture.
- Use exhaust fans or open a window in bathrooms and kitchen when showering, cooking or washing dishes.
- Promptly fix water leaks.
- Damp or wet items should be dried completely within 1 to 2 days to prevent mold from growing.
- Maintain low indoor humidity.
- According to recent studies, indoor air cleaners and humidifiers can significantly reduce air pollutants such as mold.
- Make sure that your HVAC system is working properly.