Ah, summertime! The sun is shining, the flowers are blooming, and the mosquitoes are out in full force. Yes, mosquitoes, those pesky insects that enjoy nothing more than buzzing around your head and leaving behind itchy, irritating bites. Not only are mosquito bites annoying, but they can also transmit diseases such as West Nile, Zika, and dengue fever. So, it’s important to prevent mosquito bites by placing preventative measures throughout your property to help eliminate these pests in your yard.
Here are some do-it-yourself tips for preventing mosquito bites:
- Wear protective clothing: When you’re going to be spending time outside, wear long-sleeved shirts and pants to cover your skin. Light-colored clothing is also a good idea, as mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors.
- Use mosquito repellent: Look for mosquito repellent products that contain DEET.
- Avoid peak mosquito hours: Mosquitoes are most active during dusk hours, so try to avoid spending time outside during these times if possible.
- Use screens: Make sure your windows and doors have screens that are in good repair to keep mosquitoes out of your home.
Now, let’s talk about how to eliminate mosquitoes in your yard:
- Eliminate items that can hold water, including toys, buckets, pet bowls, tarps, old tires, and hollowed logs or stumps.
- Utilize screens on all windows and doors if you keep them open.
- Clean your gutters of leaves and debris to prevent pooling and standing water.
- Keep your pools, ponds, and bird baths clean every few days.
Mosquitoes can be a real nuisance in the summertime, but by taking these steps to prevent bites and eliminate mosquitoes in your yard, you can enjoy your time outdoors without worrying about these annoying insects. If you notice more mosquitoes around your yard than you are comfortable with, consider reaching out to your local pest control company for a free inspection.