Traveling can be stressful. The last thing anyone wants to deal with on top of the routine stress of traveling is bed bugs. These pests are notorious hitchhikers and often catch rides with travelers on their luggage to move from place to place. How can you eliminate the potential for bed bugs while traveling?
While traveling, here are some things you can do to help prevent bed bugs:
- Inspect your hotel room carefully before unpacking. Look for signs of bed bugs, such as small, dark spots, bloodstains, or eggshells.
- Don’t put your luggage on the bed or on the floor. Instead, put it on a luggage rack or in a closet.
- Wash your clothes and bedding as soon as you come home. The heat from the dryer will help eliminate any hitchhiking bed bugs.
- Inspect your home for signs of bed bugs after you have returned.
Where can bed bugs be found? Here are some common places you should keep an eye out for:
- Airbnb and Hotels: More common in hotels, bed bugs can be found in any accommodation, including Airbnbs.
- Public transportation: Bed bugs can hitch a ride on your clothing or luggage if you sit in an infested seat. This can include buses, airplanes, or ride-share.
- Public places: Bed bugs can be found in public spaces including libraries, movie theaters, and gyms.
- Friends or family homes: if you visit a friend or family member’s home who has bed bugs, you could bring them back to your own home.
If you think you may have brought bed bugs home with you from your travels, here are some things you can do:
- Inspect your home carefully for signs of bed bugs. Look for the signs mentioned above.
- Wash your clothes and bedding in hot water. This will help to eliminate any bed bugs that may be present.
- Call your local pest control company. They will be able to inspect your home and treat it for bed bugs!