The weather is warm and the snakes are out. There aren’t a lot of snake lovers out there, us included. We don’t like to think about snakes being in or around our home but they are a reality and there are steps that we can take to keep snakes away.
- Use a snake repellant. It is said that home remedies like moth balls and lemon grass are great deters for snakes but have also been said to be unreliable. There are other snake repellants available at your local hardware store.
- Keep the clutter out of your yard. Keeping grass cut and vegetation trimmed down reduces areas for snakes to hide. Remove any wood piles, leaves, or other debris where snakes can hide.
- Pest control. Regularly scheduled pest control keeps insects and rodents out of your yard that snakes use to feed on. By keeping these pests out of your yard…you have a better chance of keeping snakes out too.
- Check for gaps and cracks in your home. Snakes can enter homes through any open gaps or holes that may be present. Use weather stripping under doors and seal all cracks and crevices. This will assist in keeping out pests and keeping in the cool air.
- Don’t forget about the shed. Sheds can become cluttered and perfect places for snakes to hide. De-clutter your work space.
- Call a professional. If you have a snake in your yard or home, call a professional team that specializes in removing snakes and other wildlife. Don’t handle these on your own.
Northwest Exterminating has a highly trained wildlife team that specializes in the exclusion, removal, and control of wildlife including snakes.