We’ve all heard the term “Sleep Tight, Don’t Let the Bedbugs Bite”. But in 2010, that childhood saying became a reality. Although bedbugs made their triumphant comeback this year, no one really knows why. Until experts can answer that question, here are some tips on how to keep you and your family safe from these pesky bugs:
- Use your flashlight to check along the mattress seams, bed skirt, headboard, bed frame, walls, baseboards, etc , for dark reddish stains or spots.
- Purchase mattress casings for mattress and box springs.
- When traveling, seal your suitcase in a large resealable bag (or pack clothes in resealable bag inside the suitcase).
- After returning from a trip, leave suitcases outdoors in excess heat or cold and run clothes through the dryer on high heat to kill any bugs that may have made the trip home with you.
- When moving, heat blankets before the move to kill any pests. Some moving companies now offer this.
- If your home has been infested, call a pest control company. Pest control companies can tell you if your belongings can be treated or need to be thrown out.