The forecast for this afternoon calls for heavy storms in Atlanta and the surrounding areas. Not only are storms coming in this evening but spring is right around the corner…which means one thing…rain, rain and more rain! Rain can bring in unwanted visitors to your home such as termites, mosquitoes, cockroaches, and many other not so friendly houseguests.
Out of the many pests that make themselves at home in your home, termites can be some of the most damaging. Termites are responsible for nearly $2 billion of damage across the US. Don’t fall victim to their game…start now on your fight to protect your home against termites. Below are some ways to inspect your home for termites or you can call Northwest Exterminating for a FREE termite inspection.
How to identify termites
- Look for a swarm of winged insects in and around your home. Termites can also be found moving quickly along the ground.
- Termites look a lot like flying ants although ants have one pair of wings smaller than the other, all four wings are the same size on termites.
- Termites breed in places of moisture such as concrete, wood and other hard-to-get-to places.
- Cracked or bubbling paint
- Termite droppings
- Wood that sounds hollow when tapped
- Mud tubes. These tubes are used to reach the wood that the termites are feeding on. Check basement and crawl spaces for these pencil width tunnels.
- Discarded wings from swarmers