Have you ever woken up to the sound of scurrying across your floors or tiny little squeaks? Maybe it’s just an overactive imagination…or maybe not! House Mice are a common problem in homes. Although they are generally harmless, we must not forget that mice are a nuisance and a threat to the health of our home. Mice are known to cause damage and carry diseases.
Here are some signs that you may have an unwanted visitor in your home:
- Gnaw marks – Check for tooth marks and wood shavings around doors, baseboards, and cabinets. Mice will also chew on food containers to get access to food.
- Droppings and/or urine – Look for droppings about the size of a grain of rice along walls, storage areas and next to objects.
- Tracks/footprints – Look for footprints. The front foot will have 4 toes and the back foot will have 5 toes.
- Rub/Grease marks – When mice are traveling along walls, pipes, etc, they leave greasy smears as dirt and oil from their fur rub off onto the surfaces.
- Burrows – They often create nests in materials such as insulation.
- Damaged goods – Because of their constant chewing, droppings, and urination they are known to damage wood, electrical wiring, insulation and other items around the home.
- Nests – Check areas of the house for nests built of debris.
- Sounds – Listen for squeaks and squeals at night when the house is quiet and the mice are most active.
- Sightings – Mice are very inquisitive so be on the lookout.
If you find a mouse or signs of a mouse in your home, call Northwest Exterminating for mouse control.