Now that the holidays are over, it’s time to start looking ahead to the New Year. Like most of us, you’re probably going into 2018 with a renewed sense of motivation. What is your New Year’s resolution? Will you try to lose weight? Will you try to spend less time online and more time outside? Will you finally finish that project you’ve wanted to start but never had the time? Whatever you decide, make sure pest control makes it to the top of your list. Here are 5 easy tips to make your home pest free for the New Year!
- Clean It: Make cleaning a part of your daily routine. Remove built up grease from your kitchen and appliances. Clean up crumbs and spills from those hard to reach places. Sweep and vacuum your floors regularly. Try to clean up crumbs and spills immediately. Keep food (including pet food) stored in sealed containers and don’t leave them out overnight. Organize clutter, especially in areas you don’t frequent very often like your attic, garage, and basement. If possible, store items in plastic containers rather than cardboard. Store your firewood at least 20 feet from your home and elevate it 5 feet off the ground.
- Fix It: Check your windows and doors for cracks and holes in both the seals and the screens. Fill holes and repair or replace screens. Replace weatherstripping if needed. Check along your foundation and fill holes with caulk or cover them with screens. Install screens over chimney vents and openings.
- Dry It: Check the inside and outside of your home including your crawlspace for standing water. Check for leaky pipes, drips, and stagnant water which all attract pests and can cause mold and mildew. Repair any leaky pipes and remove any standing water. Consider enclosing your crawlspace under your home.
- Inspect It: Check wires, walls, and insulation for signs of pests such as gnaw marks. Replace any damaged wires and chewed insulation. Consider TAP insulation which not only provides better energy efficiency but also provides pest control. Carefully inspect any packages you bring home or take out of storage for signs of pests (rodent droppings, chew marks, etc). Inspect your luggage when returning from travels. Consider an annual termite inspection for your home.
- Prevent It: It is less expensive to have scheduled preventative pest control services than waiting to call for services after you have a problem. Scheduled preventative services can not only provide you with year round preventative treatments but can also identify signs of a potential problem before it gets out of hand. Schedule preventative services with a professional pest control company.