Even though the calendar says September, the thermometer still reads summer! Summer is the time of year when we see a surge in our energy costs and utility bills. As the temperatures increase outside, we spend more time inside. Kids are home from school all day running the air conditioner, using electronics and appliances, and leaving the lights on. There is also a bigger gap between the temperature outside and the temperature inside our homes – causing our air conditioning units to work harder to keep our homes cool. Summer is also a time to utilize swimming pools to have fun and cool off. Electric pool pumps, however, use a lot of energy. In fact, they can add an average of $80-90 per month to your energy bill if they run 24 hours a day. As the demand for energy increases and the supply of energy decreases, the market price of energy will inevitably go up. This helps explain why our energy bills are so high in the summer months.
So what can you do to help stay ahead of this surge in energy costs? Two options available are TAP insulation and Complete Crawlspace Enclosure.
TAP or thermal acoustical pest control insulation can help protect your home and your wallet from those increasing summer energy bills. TAP insulation:
- Is energy start rated and reduces the amount of energy needed to heat and cool your home, which can lower your energy bills by 20-38%
- Is made of 87% recycled newsprint so you can insulate your home while saving landfill space
- Is treated with borates (a natural pest control product) to help control roaches, ants and other pests
- Is treated with a fire retardant that limits the spread of fire
- Allows you to keep more consistent temperatures inside your home year-round
Complete Crawlspace Enclosure
Complete crawlspace is an enclosed crawlspace solution that includes high quality vapor liner, taped seams, sealed foundation vents, and mechanical drying. Complete Crawlspace provides you with:
- A healthier living environment by preventing mold growth and wood rot
- Decreased humidity levels
- Pest control by completely closing off your crawlspace, eliminating an entry point for pests
- Decreased HVAC repair costs by decreasing the workload of the HVAC unit
- Decreased utility bills by up to 18% with increased energy efficiency in your home