It’s a little-known fact that every good garden needs a pollinator and bee. Without the help of these friendly pollinators, there would be fewer flowers and vegetables. If you want more visits from honeybees, follow these simple tips.
Bees are interested in two things when visiting your garden:
- Nectar: loaded with sugars and a bee’s main source of energy
- Pollen: provides a balanced diet of protein and fats
An effective way to attract bees into your garden is to plant flowers that offer these two main food sources. Try to plant non-hybridized flowers in your garden, as they typically do not produce enough pollen or nectar for our helpful pollinators.
Here are some other helpful tips to keep the bees around:
- Don’t use pesticides
- Use local, native plants
- Choose a variety of colors to plant
- Have a diversity of plants flowering all season
- Plant where it’s safe for bees to visit
We hope these tips help bring the honeybees back to your garden, so they can do what they do best: pollinate! If you discover an active colony near or around your garden, then reach out to your local certified honeybee removal company to safely remove these colonies and relocate them to a safer location.