Dec 5, 2012 | Uncategorized
The holiday season is a busy time for travel. People visiting family or taking holiday trips…it is a fun and exciting time. But there are precautions to take when traveling. Bed bugs have made a comeback in recent years and are a real concern for travelers. Not only are they a concern for while on a trip but bringing them home can cause thousands of dollars and loss of sleep.
But this shouldn’t discourage people from traveling. With knowledge and diligence, you can protect yourself and your home from bed bugs.
Tips for Avoiding Bed Bugs While Traveling:
- Research the hotel. If staying in a hotel do your research by reading reviews on the website and visiting The Bed Bug Registry. The Bed Bug Registry is a free, public database where people report bed bug infestations across the US and Canada.
- Keep luggage off of bed and floor. Place your luggage on a luggage rack, bathroom floor, or balcony when you enter the room. Placing it on the bed or carpet could give present bed bugs easy access to your luggage.
- Inspect your bed. Check the headboard, foot board, mattress, sheets, pillows, and comforter for little bugs or dark red or brown spots that mark a trail. Check seams and corners closely and the box springs. If you see scurrying, dead bugs, or dark colored trails, notify the hotel management immediately.
- Inspect your room. Check sofas and chairs, or other places that bed bugs could be found.
- If you find bed bugs after you’ve slept in the room, notify hotel management right away. They should launder all of your clothing and give you a new room immediately.
Preventing bed bugs from making their way home with you:
- Unpack your bag in the garage or on a hard, light colored surface. Do not unpack on the bed or carpet. This will allow you to see any bed bugs if they scurry out of your bag.
- Wash and dry all clothes as soon as possible on hot.
- Vacuum your suitcase.
- Although it’s unusual for bed bugs to travel on a person, shower before you sleep in your own bed.
If you suspect that bed bugs have made their way into your home, there is a solution. Northwest Exterminating has a dedicated team of experts that specialize in the treatment of bed bugs. Call the Mouse to get rid of bed bugs in your house.