The house spider is a common problem that we’re seeing in homes lately. We’ve had lots of calls and concerns about the tiny little pests hanging around. The most effective way of getting rid of spiders is to prevent them from ever coming into your home. Spiders, like most insects, come into your home in search of food. By ridding your home of other insects (regularly scheduled pest maintenance) your home will be useless to the spider.
Ways to Prevent Spiders from coming into your home:
- Seal cracks and crevices around the perimeter of your home that can be used as entry points into your home.
- Use screens on doors and windows.
- Use a vacuum to suck up spiders and their eggs (they often escape if a broom is used).
- Spider survival is low in homes with low humidity, few insects, higher garages, sheds, barns, warehouses, etc.
- Spider webs are often built in corners and angles of walls and windows so web brush often or ask your pest professional to do it while they are treating your home.
- Spiders build webs by trial and error which explains why there may be multiple vacant webs around your home.
- Keep your home clean. Clutter is good for spiders because it gives them a place to hide.
- Ensure that bushes and other plants are trimmed back from the outside wall of your home.
- Make sure mulch is kept a few inches back from the foundation of your home.
- Use plastic storage boxes instead of cardboard. Spiders love cardboard.
Again, regularly scheduled pest control from a professional pest management company will keep out the spiders and their food sources.