With cooler weather you may begin to see more pests coming into your home. Pests and rodents are looking for a warm place with food and shelter and homes and businesses are prime real estate for them. We often talk about the health risks and the nuisances that unwelcomed pests bring into a home.
The NPMA recommends the following steps to keep your home pest free this fall:
- Screen attic vents and openings to chimneys.
- Eliminate moisture sites, including leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Seal cracks and crevices on the outside of the home using caulk and steel wool. Pay close attention where utility pipes enter the structure.
- Store food in airtight containers and dispose of garbage regularly in sealed receptacles.
- Replace loose mortar and weather stripping around the basement foundation and windows.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet away from the house; keep shrubbery well trimmed.
- Install door sweeps and repair damaged screens.
- Inspect items such as boxes of decorations and grocery bags before bringing them indoors.
For pest protection for your home or business call Northwest Exterminating.
Source: NPMA – Fall Pest-Proofing Helps Keep Pests Outdoors