Glimpses of spring have filled the air here and there. Even though temperatures are unpredictable right now, it is the perfect time to plan for your garden. Ideal conditions, like temperatures and planting zones, vary depending on your location. The state of Georgia has 5 different plant hardiness zones or geographical areas in which specific plant life is capable of growing based on climate (source).
So what are some simple steps you can do right now to Plan for Your Garden?
- Clean and perform maintenance on lawn equipment.
- Check irrigation system. Make sure that your system is working properly and that water is reaching the desired areas.
- Get your soil tested. Testing can help you to know what is crucial to your soil for the results your desire. Test Your Soil
- Make a plan. Don’t just go buy plants on a whim. Instead, do your research on what plants grow best where/when. Map out what you want to do. This will save you time and money.
- Build raised beds for spring vegetables.
- Prune shrubs and bushes. Pruning stimulates growth so make sure to cut 1-2 feet lower than your desired end of season height.
- Fertilize trees and shrubs.
- Overseed fescue lawns.
Don’t have time for spring planning for your garden? Northwest Lawn Care offers FREE lawn care analysis, aeration and overseeding, and tree and shrub services. Save time and money and let the experts handle your lawn care year round!