It seems there’s a day/month of recognition for just about anything these days. January is Artichoke and Asparagus Month, June is International Surf Music Month, and we can’t forget about September being Be Kind to Editors & Writers Month. There really seems to be a month for everything. However, we may be partial, but we think that April is a very special month! It’s National Pest Management Month!
National Pest Management Month is a time to celebrate your pest professionals who protect homes and businesses from pest threats! According to Miss Henriksen, NPMA’s VP of public affairs, “During National Pest Management Month, we shine the light on the importance of professional pest management in consumers’ everyday lives.”
Joining NPMA on a media tour is renowned home improvement expert Bob Vila. NPMA and Bob Vila want to remind homeowners of the importance of keeping a pest free home and the ways you can thwart off pest invaders this spring and summer.
In recognition of National Pest Management Month, Bob Vila and NPMA offer the following tips to pest proof your home:
- Seal any cracks on the outside of the home with a silicone-based caulk, including entry points for utilities and pipes;
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house, including birdbaths and in clogged gutters.
- Ensure basements, attics, and crawl spaces are well ventilated and dry.
- Clean out gutters and install gutter guards.
- In case of an infestation, work with a licensed pest professional to determine the best treatment method.
So what are you waiting on…hug your pest professional today!! Or you can just say thank you!