Summer is a season that brings with it many joys, such as longer days and warmer weather. Unfortunately, it also brings a variety of pests that can invade your home and make life unpleasant. Let’s discover some common summer pests and share tips for preventing them.
Ants are one of the most common pests found in homes during the summer months. They are attracted to sweet, sticky substances and can quickly become a nuisance if they find a food source in your home.
How to Prevent Ants:
- Keep your kitchen and dining areas clean and free of crumbs and spills.
- Seal all food containers and take out the garbage regularly.
- Locate their entry point and seal it off.
Mosquitoes are another common summer pest that can be a serious health concern. They can carry diseases such as West Nile virus and Zika virus, so it’s important to take steps to prevent them.
How to Prevent Mosquitoes:
- Remove standing water from around your home, as this is where mosquitoes breed.
- Use screens on windows and doors to keep mosquitoes out of your home.
- Wear long-sleeved clothing and use insect repellent when spending time outdoors.
Ticks are small, blood-sucking pests that can transmit diseases such as Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. They are often found in wooded areas but can also be found in your yard if you have tall grass or brush.
How to Prevent Ticks:
- Continue to mow your lawn and remove any debris or leaf litter where ticks might hide.
- Wear long-sleeved clothing and use insect repellent when spending time outdoors in areas where ticks are prevalent.
Bees and Wasps
How to Prevent Bees and Wasps:
To prevent bees and wasps, keep your trash cans sealed and dispose of food scraps properly. If you have a nest on your property, call a professional to remove it rather than attempting to do it yourself.
Spiders are often found in dark, damp places like basements and crawl spaces. They can be beneficial by eating other pests, but some species can be dangerous if they bite.
How to Prevent Spiders:
- Keep your home clean and free of clutter.
- Seal any cracks or gaps in your home’s foundation, walls, and doors to keep spiders from entering.
If you have a pest problem that you can’t control on your own, contact your local professional pest control company for a customized summer pest prevention plan!