As the leaves change color and the temperature begins to drop, many people in Georgia eagerly await the arrival of fall. However, along with the beauty of this season comes a new set of challenges for homeowners – the invasion of fall pests. These household pests are often seeking shelter and warmth as they prepare to overwinter, making your cozy home an inviting destination. In this blog post, we’ll explore some common fall pests in Georgia and provide valuable tips on how to prevent their intrusion.
- Stink Bugs: Description: Stink bugs are notorious for their pungent odor when threatened. They are shield-shaped and usually brown or green. Prevention: Seal cracks and gaps in your home’s exterior, repair damaged screens, and use weatherstripping. If an infestation occurs, consult a professional pest control service.
- Ladybugs (Asian Lady Beetles): Description: These insects look similar to ladybugs and can vary in color from red to orange. They often cluster in large numbers. Prevention: Seal entry points like gaps around windows and doors, and use screens. If you find an infestation, consider vacuuming them up and releasing them outside.
- Rodents (Mice and Rats): Description: Rodents are notorious for seeking shelter in homes during fall and can cause damage to property and spread diseases. Prevention: Seal holes and cracks, store food securely, and keep your home clean. If you spot signs of rodents, contact a rodent control professional immediately.
- Cockroaches: Description: Cockroaches thrive in warmer climates and often seek shelter indoors when the temperature drops. Prevention: Maintain a clean home, fix leaks, and seal entry points. Cockroach baits and traps can be used, but professional pest control is often necessary for a severe infestation.
- Spiders: Description: While many spiders are harmless, some can be venomous. Fall is when they seek refuge indoors. Prevention: Keep your home clutter-free, remove webs, and seal gaps in doors and windows. Regularly clean and vacuum to deter spiders.
- Ants: Description: Ants are persistent pests that may enter your home in search of food. Prevention: Keep food sealed, clean up spills promptly, and seal entry points. Use ant baits and traps, and consult professionals for extensive infestations.
While fall brings cooler weather and beautiful landscapes to Georgia, it also heralds the arrival of these common fall pests. Preventing these pests from entering your home is crucial to maintaining a pest-free environment. Don’t let these overwintering pests ruin your autumn. Contact your local pest control company today for a free pest control quote to help protect your home and family.