Tennessee Pest Control: Ant Control
There are several types of ants that can infiltrate your Tennessee home. Some of the most common are carpenter ants, Pharaoh ants, and odorous house ants. If you aren’t sure what kind you’re dealing with, here’s a quick breakdown of these three:
- Pharaoh Ants: About 1/8 inch long, these light brown or yellow colored pests are often found near water sources. If you see them in your home, check for leaks or standing water. They are known to carry diseases, such as salmonella or staphylococcus, so be sure to rid them from your home immediately.
- Carpenter Ants: They are larger than the pharaoh ant, measuring up to ½ inch long. If you see them in your home, there’s likely a nest nearby. They are known to damage wood in homes, so it’s important to prevent an infestation.
- Odorous Ants: Black in color and measuring up to 1/8 inch long, these pests got their name from the odor they emit when crushed. They are often found near food sources, so discovering them in your kitchen or pantry isn’t uncommon.
How to Prevent Ants:
- Seal cracks and crevices around windows, doors, foundation, or exterior walls
- Keep your plants and shrubbery trimmed back and away from your home
- Store firewood and other yard debris at least 20 feet away from your home’s exterior
- Consider utilizing a routine pest control service to help identify entry points, treat infestations, and prevent future infestations.
Give your local pest control company a call today for a FREE inspection!