The winter months can bring wildlife indoors as they search for food and shelter from the cold weather, causing property damage by chewing through the wood, insulation, and wiring in your home, and can also carry diseases that threaten the health of you and your family. What critters should you be concerned about? Most wildlife control services include the exclusion, removal, and control of animals such as squirrels, rodents, raccoons, snakes, bees, and birds. Safe removal of the nuisance critter is always the first priority when it comes to wildlife, but what can you do to prevent these animals from getting into your home or property to begin with? Keep reading for tips on wildlife prevention and bird control.
- Install door sweeps on exterior doors.
- Repair or replace any damaged window and door screens.
- Replace loose mortar around foundations and weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Inspect the exterior of your home including the siding for damage, holes, and leaks and repair them immediately.
- Repair any holes under exterior stairs, porches, balconies, etc. to keep animals from taking up residence underneath them.
- Install chimney caps.
- Cover the openings to exhaust fans, soffits, attic vents, and utility pipes.
- Inspect your roof annually for water damage and loose or damaged shingles.
- Keep your attic, basement, and crawlspace well ventilated and dry.
- Clean eaves and gutters regularly to prevent debris from building up.
- Don’t leave your garage door open for prolonged periods of time or overnight.
- Keep tree limbs cut back at least 6 to 8 feet from your roof line.
- Store your firewood off the ground and at least 20 feet from your home.
- Keep your grills or barbecues clean and grease-free.
- If you have fruit trees make sure you pick or dispose of ripe fruit and clean up any spoiled fruit that may collect at the base of the trees.
- Clean up leaves and brush and don’t leave them in piles around your property.
- Store your birdseed in secure containers and don’t leave birdseed in your feeders overnight.
- Bring in your pet’s food and water dishes at night.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Dispose of your garbage regularly and use cans that have secure lids.
If you suspect a wildlife problem, contact a professional wildlife control company. A wildlife removal expert will inspect your home to identify the animal nuisance, determine where they are getting in, remove them, and prevent the wildlife from getting into your home in the future. They can also inform you of any existing damage or contamination and provide you with a recommendation for repairs or clean-up.
You May Also Be Interested In:
Lawn Care: 7 Tips For A Healthy Winter Lawn
What Is Green Pest Control?
Termite Control: Do I Really Need Termite Protection?
Pest Control: Mosquitoes In The South
Exterminating Tips: Keeping Out Winter Pests
Cleaning out your gutters is a messy, stinky job. It’s also dangerous. Would you like to save time and avoid this miserable chore each year? Consider installing a LeafProof XP Gutter Guard. Leafproof XP Gutter Guard is a unique gutter guard system that can be installed onto your existing gutters without causing roof damage. Leafproof XP not only eliminates your need to clean your gutters each year, it also provides several other benefits to you, as well. Check out these 12 reasons to install LeafProof XP on your home.
- Time. Installing LeafProof saves you time each year that you would otherwise spend cleaning out your gutters.
- Year Round Protection. LeafProof provides an ongoing gutter cleaning solution year round.
- Low Cost. LeafProof is an affordable, premium gutter protection solution.
- No Mess. LeafProof eliminates the mess of gutter cleaning each year.
- Decreased Injury Risk. LeafProof minimizes the risk of ladder injuries and falls.
- Keeps Gutters Clear. LeafProof keeps leaves and other debris from clogging your gutters.
- Easy Installation. LeafProof installs over your existing gutters without damaging your roof.
- Pest Control. LeafProof prevents animal and bird invasions of your home.
- Low Profile. LeafProof installs under the first row of shingles without penetrating your roof.
- Aesthetics. LeafProof blends with your existing gutters and roofline.
- Ice Prevention. LeafProof prevents ice dams from forming in your gutters in the winter.
- Warranty. LeafProof comes with a lifetime warranty.
If you are interested in LeafProof XP fill out the Free Estimate Form here.