Northwest Exterminating representative, Courtesy of AJC
Need tips on how to keep mosquitoes away?
- Remove standing water from your yard. These areas serve as breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
- Keep screens on windows and doors to keep them out of your home.
- Use an insect repellant. DEET is highly recommended. Be sure to read the label and reapply as necessary.
- Cover up. We know it’s hot but items like hats, long sleeve shirts, long pants, and shoes that cover your feet will help keep the mosquitoes from biting.
- Wear light colors. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors so keep it light and bright to keep them away.
- Stay still. Movement produces a change in waves of light and acts as a signal to mosquitoes. Carbon dioxide is also an attractant, so the more you move, the harder you breathe and the more you attract mosquitoes.
- Plants. Certain strong smelling plants help keep mosquitoes away. Citronella, marigolds, and lemongrass are some of the plants you can use outdoors, while rosemary and basil are said to be helpful inside.
- Home remedies. There is no shortage of DIY remedies online. Some of these can be useful for short term effectiveness.
- Professional pest management. A trained pest control technician can inspect your property to identify what is attracting the mosquito infestation. The technician can then treat your property in an earth friendly and effective manner. They can also provide you with a plan to keep mosquitoes away.
These are just a few tips on keeping mosquitoes away. Mosquitoes are known carriers of diseases like West Nile virus, encephalitis, and heartworms in dogs. Make sure that you are protecting yourself and your loved ones. For more information, visit our blog or call Northwest Exterminating at 888.466.7849.
Why Do Mosquitoes Love Me So Much?
Take Back Your Yard!Don’t let mosquitoes suck the fun out of your Summer!
- Breed in stagnant water such as ponds, marshes, drainage ditches, etc.
- Can be found in almost every type of landscape on Earth except deserts and the Arctic.
- Bite most often at dusk and dawn.
OTHER PESTS TO LOOK OUT FOR:
- Eliminate areas of standing water around the home such as flower pots, bird baths, etc. Mosquitoes only need about one half inch of water to breed.
- Avoid outdoor activities between dusk and dawn.
- Wear long pants and sleeves when outdoors whenever possible.
- Use an insect repellant that contains DEET.
- Call Northwest Exterminating for a professional inspection and treatment plan for breeding sites.
Enjoy your yard this Spring and Summer. Call Northwest Exterminating for more information on our Green Mosquito Program!
Happy 4th of July!! We’d like to take a second to say how proud we are to be Americans!! We’re proud to live in the country of the land of the free and the home of the brave!! And like always, we’d like to thank all of the brave men and women and their families that have given so much for this great country!!
But before you go enjoy those fireworks…here are some tips to stay bug free this 4th of July:
- Avoid standing water in areas like flower pots, bird baths, buckets, barrels, etc. Areas like these are breeding spots for mosquitoes that can carry diseases like West Nile and encephalitis.
- Wear an insect repellant, such as DEET, to protect against mosquitoes and other bugs.
- Keep food covered when possible to avoid attracting mosquitoes, flies, and ants.
- Tightly seal garbage and put it in a sealed garbage container on the outside of your home. Make sure that the lid to the trash can is on securely to avoid rodents from getting in and going through the trash.
- Keep your lawn mowed and clear of debris.
- Protect your pets from fleas and ticks by using a preventative. These can be purchased over the counter or by your veterinarian.
- Have your exterminator treat your yard and home for insects and other rodents that could BUG you this summer! (Get it, BUG you!)
What other tips do have for staying bug free this 4th of July?
The early spring has brought pests out in full force and we suspect that they will not be slowing down anytime soon. Not only are bugs annoying but they’re a health concern as well.
- West Nile Virus, Encephalitis, dog heartworm – mosquitoes
- Lyme disease – ticks
- Rabies – rodents
- Allergies & Asthma – cockroaches
- Food Contamination – cockroaches, mice/rats
- Salmonella – cockroaches, house flies
- Skin irritation and rashes – lice, fleas, bed bugs, mites
- Venomous bites & stings (that can be accompanied by severe or life threatening reactions) – black widow, brown recluse, scorpion, snakes
- Painful stings (that can be accompanied by severe or life threatening reactions) – fire ants, yellow jackets, hornets, wasps
Pests can carry diseases and cause areas to be unsanitary. These are issues of concern for both homes and businesses. Even the cleanest homes can have bug problems in an environment like this. Carpenter bees, mosquitoes, ants, yellow jackets, silverfish, and other pests have recently been invading properties. If you’re in the Atlanta, Columbus, Savannah, or Nashville area, call Northwest Exterminating. Our NorPest Green program was developed exclusively by Northwest Exterminating to get rid of pests using the lowest environmental impact possible. A Northwest representative will develop a customized plan to target those pests while maintaining the health of your home.
We are strategically placed throughout Georgia and Tennessee to service all areas of Georgia as well as parts of Tennessee, Alabama, and South Carolina. Visit us online or call 888.466.7849 to find the location nearest you.