We know that bugs are gross and unsanitary but did you also know that they can be bad for our health. WebMD discusses some of the worst bugs and the potential harm they can do to our health:
- Ticks –Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and allergic reactions.
- Black Widow Spiders – Poisonous.
- Brown Recluse Spiders – Poisonous, can cause serious wounds, infection, and in some cases can be deadly.
- Head Lice – Itchiness can lead to infection, loss of hair.
- Fleas – Itchiness can lead to infection.
- Bee, Wasp, Hornet, Yellow Jacket – Painful sting, and can cause allergic reaction.
- Fire Ants – Painful sting, venomous, red bumps that burn and itch, and can cause allergic reaction.
- Chiggers – Itchy red welts.
- Scabies – Itchiness, sores.
- Bedbugs – Itchy, red bumps, can develop infection from scratching, and can cause allergic reaction.
- Puss Caterpillar – Poisonous, painful sting, rash, fever, vomiting, and muscle cramps.
- Scorpions – Poisonous, painful, and can be deadly.
- Deerflies – Infection, and Tularemia.
- Mosquitoes – West Nile virus, dengue fever, other diseases, and scratching can cause skin infection.
- Houseflies – Carries more than 1 million bacteria, intestinal infections by contaminating food.
- Cockroaches – Salmonella and other diseases, dead carcasses can trigger allergic reactions and asthma.
Tips to prevent feeling the sting of these health issues:
- Make sure your home is treated by a professional exterminator. A professional can diagnose current problems, and prevent new issues from coming into your home efficiently and effectively.
- Wear long clothing when outdoors.
- Wear DEET repellant when outdoors.
- Keep a clean, sanitary home and yard. This will prevent insects from seeing your home as a place for them to call home.
For more information on these insects and their health hazards, visit WebMD: Bad Bugs Slideshow: Identifying Bugs and Their Bites.
If you think you may have been bitten or stung by any of the insects above, please take note of your body’s reaction and seek medical assistance immediately.
Fire ants are a common problem for homeowners in Atlanta and other southeastern cities. They can be found in the yard and should be a concern for homeowners. Fire ants can be difficult to get rid of once they have moved onto your property and have built their colonies. They are an aggressive species and will bite and sting if they feel that they, or their colony, is being threatened. A fire ant’s bite or sting can be painful and cause serious health risks to you, your family, and pets. You and your family should be able to enjoy your yard freely without the concern of stumbling across a fire ant mound.
Because fire ants can be difficult to get rid of and carry a health risk, Northwest Exterminating recommends using a professional exterminating company to ensure the fire ant colonies are treated effectively. Northwest Exterminating’s Fire Ant Control program reduces fire ant colonies within 24 to 72 hours. Our treatment even targets the colonies located underground. Other products used by companies take up to 30 days to control fire ants, require immediate irrigation to work, can be harmful to your family and pets, and may require over 80 pounds of product to be effective.
In the summer, you don’t have 30 days to spare to enjoy your yard!
Benefits of Northwest Exterminating’s Fire Ant Control Service:
- We use Dupont’s AdvionTM, the fastest acting fire ant bait on the market.
- The bait is ingested by the fire ant, controlling the colony within 24-72 hours.
- Entire yard is treated to wipe out all colonies, even the ones underground.
- Application is environmentally friendly to your family and pets.
Have you had a run-in with a fire ant mound?
The early spring has brought pests out in full force and we suspect that they will not be slowing down anytime soon. Not only are bugs annoying but they’re a health concern as well.
- West Nile Virus, Encephalitis, dog heartworm – mosquitoes
- Lyme disease – ticks
- Rabies – rodents
- Allergies & Asthma – cockroaches
- Food Contamination – cockroaches, mice/rats
- Salmonella – cockroaches, house flies
- Skin irritation and rashes – lice, fleas, bed bugs, mites
- Venomous bites & stings (that can be accompanied by severe or life threatening reactions) – black widow, brown recluse, scorpion, snakes
- Painful stings (that can be accompanied by severe or life threatening reactions) – fire ants, yellow jackets, hornets, wasps
Pests can carry diseases and cause areas to be unsanitary. These are issues of concern for both homes and businesses. Even the cleanest homes can have bug problems in an environment like this. Carpenter bees, mosquitoes, ants, yellow jackets, silverfish, and other pests have recently been invading properties. If you’re in the Atlanta, Columbus, Savannah, or Nashville area, call Northwest Exterminating. Our NorPest Green program was developed exclusively by Northwest Exterminating to get rid of pests using the lowest environmental impact possible. A Northwest representative will develop a customized plan to target those pests while maintaining the health of your home.
We are strategically placed throughout Georgia and Tennessee to service all areas of Georgia as well as parts of Tennessee, Alabama, and South Carolina. Visit us online or call 888.466.7849 to find the location nearest you.