Customers are always asking us how to keep pests out of their homes. Besides regularly scheduled pest control treatments from their pest control company, below are Northwest Exterminating‘s Top 10 Ways to Keep Insects Out of Your Home:
One of the questions that our representatives get asked the most is “How To Keep Pests Out of The Home“. We regularly offer tips to readers on how they can keep pests out but here is a list of the Top 10 Ways to keep pests out of your home.
Top Ten Ways to Keep Insects Out of Your Home
- Go around the exterior of your home and seal up any areas where insects could enter your home. Check around windows, doors, plumbing entrances, fan vents, and electrical entrances. If your home has window screens make sure they are intact and if areas are torn or damaged replace them.
- Make sure to trim all hedges, trees, and other landscaping back away from the home. Creating at least a one foot barrier will keep insects from using easy methods to enter or get close to your home.
- Always remember that insects are living creatures just like humans and they need food, water, and shelter. Inspect the perimeter of your home, as well as the interior, and pay close attention to areas that could potentially provide all three of these needed resources.
- All food and beverages should always remain covered or sealed in air tight containers. Following this simple step will eliminate the risk of insects being attracted to your home. If you have fruit out in your kitchen make sure you eat it before it over ripens or store it in your refrigerator. If food or drinks are dropped or spilled make sure that they are cleaned up immediately.
- Routinely empty all the trash and place it outside in garbage cans with tight fitting lids. All trash cans inside the home should also have lids.
- Make sure to keep all pet food sealed in air tight containers.
- Remove extra clutter from your home. Get rid of items that are old and damaged and find a great charity to donate the rest.
- Keep all doors and windows closed while not in use.
- Make sure to change all your exterior lighting to low sodium vapor light bulbs. Most insects are attracted to light but they are less attracted to low sodium vapor lighting. Also make sure to point your security lighting away from your home and not directly on it.
- Don’t Bring Them In! Be careful whenever you travel, move, or bring home the groceries that you check everything before bringing it into your home. Especially as it gets colder make sure to check and clean all your firewood before you bring it in your home.
So there you have it. Northwest Exterminating‘s Top 10 Tips for Keeping Pests Out of Your Home. For more information, visit our website at callnorthwest.com. If pests still find there way into your home, call one of our professional exterminators to help you identify the source of your issue and get rid of the problem.