Yellow jackets have barbed like pointers on their stinger that cause the stinger to get lodged into the skin. The stinger is usually left behind, along with the venom sac. It is important to remove a stinger as quickly as possible because venom can continue to be released even if it’s not attached to the bee. The venom can cause an allergic reaction or a possible infection.
Symptoms of infection include:
- continued pain in area of sting 3-5 afterwards
Consult your Doctor immediately if any of these symptoms occur.
Symptoms of an allergic reaction include:
- swollen tongue and throat
- short of breath
- sudden drop in blood pressure
Consult your Doctor immediately at signs of an allergic reaction.
What to do if stung:
- immediately remove stinger
- wash the area with soap and water
- apply a cold compress
- apply a nonsteroidal anti-infammatory drug to reduce pain
- apply an antihistamine or hydrocortisone ointment to reduce swelling, redness, and itchiness
It’s very important to call a pest professional if you believe a yellow jacket nest is near your property. We DO NOT recommend you try to remove this on your own…this could result in being stung.
For yellow jacket removal, wasp removal, and hornet removal, call the professionals at Northwest Exterminating.
Other blogs: How to Treat a Yellow Jacket Sting
We know that bugs are gross and unsanitary but did you also know that they can be bad for our health. WebMD discusses some of the worst bugs and the potential harm they can do to our health:
- Ticks –Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, and allergic reactions.
- Black Widow Spiders – Poisonous.
- Brown Recluse Spiders – Poisonous, can cause serious wounds, infection, and in some cases can be deadly.
- Head Lice – Itchiness can lead to infection, loss of hair.
- Fleas – Itchiness can lead to infection.
- Bee, Wasp, Hornet, Yellow Jacket – Painful sting, and can cause allergic reaction.
- Fire Ants – Painful sting, venomous, red bumps that burn and itch, and can cause allergic reaction.
- Chiggers – Itchy red welts.
- Scabies – Itchiness, sores.
- Bedbugs – Itchy, red bumps, can develop infection from scratching, and can cause allergic reaction.
- Puss Caterpillar – Poisonous, painful sting, rash, fever, vomiting, and muscle cramps.
- Scorpions – Poisonous, painful, and can be deadly.
- Deerflies – Infection, and Tularemia.
- Mosquitoes – West Nile virus, dengue fever, other diseases, and scratching can cause skin infection.
- Houseflies – Carries more than 1 million bacteria, intestinal infections by contaminating food.
- Cockroaches – Salmonella and other diseases, dead carcasses can trigger allergic reactions and asthma.
Tips to prevent feeling the sting of these health issues:
- Make sure your home is treated by a professional exterminator. A professional can diagnose current problems, and prevent new issues from coming into your home efficiently and effectively.
- Wear long clothing when outdoors.
- Wear DEET repellant when outdoors.
- Keep a clean, sanitary home and yard. This will prevent insects from seeing your home as a place for them to call home.
For more information on these insects and their health hazards, visit WebMD: Bad Bugs Slideshow: Identifying Bugs and Their Bites.
If you think you may have been bitten or stung by any of the insects above, please take note of your body’s reaction and seek medical assistance immediately.
Each week we send out a survey to customers who have received a new service from Northwest Exterminating. Our goal is always “Customers for Life”! We want to make sure that each customer is completely satisfied with the service that they have received from Northwest. Our surveys allow us to really see how we’re doing from our customer’s stand point! We are able to use the responses to constantly make Northwest a better company. So what are our customers saying? See for yourself:
- They arrived when promised, they were very clean, were very polite, treated our termite problem, and finished quickly. – Newnan service center
- Fire ant service was just great. We added it recently during our quarterly and termite renewal service. – Stockbridge service center
- Northwest representative, John Davis, was very helpful and knowledgeable in assessing my needs for termite protection. The termite technician who actually performed the job, Bobby McMichen, was on time and did a fantastic job. I would recommend Northwest to all my friends and family members. – Dallas service center
- I like the green option. Reps have always been friendly and knowledgeable. They have always been receptive to our needs. They will return with a smile if having an insect problem. They will return as much as neccessary to get the problem solved. – Dallas service center
- When I started to have issues with bugs in my house, I called Northwest. The representative was polite and attended to my needs quickly. We had our initial visit within 2 days and our service was completed by the end of the week. This was very helpful as I am 39 weeks pregnant and needed to have it completed before the new baby arrived. – Newnan service center
- We had a yellow jacket infestation in the wall of my home. My husband and I were on a trip and my son was home to handle the situation. He called a different company and wasn’t treated very well. Once he called your company he got the help he needed right away. The other company told him it would cost upwards of $1000 to fix the problem and with you guys it was less then $250. I want to thank you for not taking advantage of a young man that didn’t know what to do with the problem before him. May God bless you for your kindness. – Wildlife Team
- The representative was courteous and knowledgeable. He also came on short notice regarding an emergency situation. – Columbus service center
- I had a complete understanding of the work that was to be performed and how it would work. The service rep called in advance and was on time. He completed the work in a timely manner. – Monroe service center
- Friendly, professional service technician. Reviewed everything with me and treated whole house – even did basement and attic and we did not go over that. Thorough treatment. Confident that if I have aproblem I can call my representative and he will handle it quickly. – East Cobb service center
- Northwest has always provided excellent service in both Pest management and Termite service and most recently the lawn care service. – Stockbridge service center
- We had really bad ants and with one treatment, they are GONE! – Buford service center
- We are a farm to table restaurant that would never consider using products with unnatural pesticides. We are so glad you have green shield products. Our representative was extremely knowledgeable about the pests that have previously inhabited this 70 year old building and setup traps to monitor any pest traffic we have. He even told us to call him at the first sign of pest activity. – Canton service center
For more information on the services offered at Northwest Exterminating visit our website at callnorthwest.com or call 888.466.7849
NorPest Green Pest Control
Green Mosquito Control
Bed Bug Control
Fire Ant Control
Green Property Solutions
Community Management Services
There is a whole market for people who like to do it yourself. I am one of them. I enjoy the occasional weekend project around the house like painting, fixing a leaky faucet, or changing out fixtures. However, there are some do it yourself projects that are just not for me. I don’t touch wires, I don’t clean high chandeliers, and I don’t clean out gutters (thank goodness Northwest Exterminating does). Those are the tasks that I leave for the professionals.
In the recent years of the down economy, we have witnessed more people resorting to a do it yourself method of getting rid of bugs. There are certain situations where we agree that do it yourself is a good alternative to hiring an exterminator. If you spot a single bug such as a fly, yellow jacket, or ant, there is usually no need for a professional pest control company to come to your home. But if you spot a termite, a bed bug, or any other insect that can cause damage to your family or your home, it is necessary to call an exterminator.
There are certain things that need to be considered when deciding to DIY or hire a professional:
o DIY – A trip to the store and the purchase of chemicals is typically less expensive than hiring a pest control company.
o Professional – Although the initial investment is more expensive with a professional, it may end up being the cheaper alternative. If the in store pesticides are not effective they may result in the growth of your pest control problem. Continuing to buy in store products can get expensive. Not to mention the potential damage to your home that pests can cause.
o DIY – When doing it yourself, you can go to the store, purchase the pest control product, and apply it at your own convenience.
o Professional – It can be a pain to find a time that is convenient for both you and your exterminator to meet at your home for a treatment. More often than not, this is at the inconvenience of the customer. However, a good exterminator will work with the homeowner to schedule the best time for them.
o DIY – The instructions are on the label. Not only can information be found on the label but it is very easy to go to the internet and do a research on the particular product or insect. Be sure that all instructions are followed exactly as listed on the package.
o Professional – An experienced and knowledgeable exterminator will be able to quickly identify and treat your problem. They are also able to answer any questions that you have about prevention or other issues that you are experiencing. Their experience and expertise can keep your home and family healthier than just reading the instructions on a label.
o DIY – Chemicals of any kind can carry a risk. Applying chemicals that you are not knowledgeable about could potentially cause harm to humans, pets, or plants in the area. This is not to scare you but to remind you that we cannot stress enough the importance to read all instructions and follow all directions listed on the product label.
o Professionals – By hiring an experienced and knowledgeable pest control company, most risk is removed from the homeowner. Be sure to read all contracts and get reviews from past customers before hiring a pest control company.
o DIY – For small pest problems, store bought exterminating products can oftentimes be effective. For a bigger infestation, it can be more difficult with store bought products. Pests are adaptable creatures and can get become immune to certain chemicals after a certain amount of time.
o Professionals – A reliable pest control company will have up to date information and products to treat your infestation.
o DIY – Depending on the store and product, you can return a product. Check your local store return policies before purchasing.
o Professionals – Always ask about a company’s policies before hiring them to treat your home. Will they return to your home for no charge if your issue is not solved? Do they offer warranties on their work? A good exterminating company will.
When trying to decide if you should tackle your pest control problem, consider the list above. For a small infestation, do it yourself is a good option that can be inexpensive. For larger infestations or a continuing problem, save yourself the time, hassle, and money and call a professional exterminator. As always, the key to pest control is prevention. For pest prevention tips visit this blog.
If you have a pest or termite issue in the Atlanta, Columbus, Savannah, or Nashville area, call Northwest Exterminating.
What kind of do-it-yourself projects do you enjoy?
Have you ever tried to do-it-yourself and had to call in the professionals?