Aug 23, 2013 | Mosquito
Northwest Exterminating representative, Courtesy of AJC
Need tips on how to keep mosquitoes away?
- Remove standing water from your yard. These areas serve as breeding grounds for mosquitoes.
- Keep screens on windows and doors to keep them out of your home.
- Use an insect repellant. DEET is highly recommended. Be sure to read the label and reapply as necessary.
- Cover up. We know it’s hot but items like hats, long sleeve shirts, long pants, and shoes that cover your feet will help keep the mosquitoes from biting.
- Wear light colors. Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors so keep it light and bright to keep them away.
- Stay still. Movement produces a change in waves of light and acts as a signal to mosquitoes. Carbon dioxide is also an attractant, so the more you move, the harder you breathe and the more you attract mosquitoes.
- Plants. Certain strong smelling plants help keep mosquitoes away. Citronella, marigolds, and lemongrass are some of the plants you can use outdoors, while rosemary and basil are said to be helpful inside.
- Home remedies. There is no shortage of DIY remedies online. Some of these can be useful for short term effectiveness.
- Professional pest management. A trained pest control technician can inspect your property to identify what is attracting the mosquito infestation. The technician can then treat your property in an earth friendly and effective manner. They can also provide you with a plan to keep mosquitoes away.
These are just a few tips on keeping mosquitoes away. Mosquitoes are known carriers of diseases like West Nile virus, encephalitis, and heartworms in dogs. Make sure that you are protecting yourself and your loved ones. For more information, visit our blog or call Northwest Exterminating at 888.466.7849.
Why Do Mosquitoes Love Me So Much?