American Cockroaches, or the Palmetto Bug, have been making appearances in homes all over the South recently. Reddish brown in color with a yellow marking, palmetto bugs can grow to be 1.5 to even 2 inches in length. These roaches have wings but are not good flyers.
Cockroaches are found in residences and commercial buildings…anywhere that has food and water sources. Homes, restaurants, bakeries, grocery stores, food processing plants, and even hospitals are common places that cockroaches can be found. Kitchens, food storage areas, and basements are the usual areas roaches are found in because of food and water. They can be found in dark, moist places like basements, drains, tubs, and sewers looking for water.
Keep roaches from invading your structure by:
- Sealing off entry points.
- Caulking around pipes and drains.
- Keep kitchen and food preparation areas clean, especially at night.
- Use a disinfectant on counter tops.
- Wash, dry, and put away dishes.
- Tightly seal food.
- Tightly seal and remove garbage.