What to Look for When Choosing an Exterminator.
Last week we talked about the reasons that it can be best to hire a professional pest control company (Why Choose a Professional Pest Control Company?) to come in rather than doing-it-yourself. A simple recap: Professionals are the experts in their field and are better equipped to identify the problem and the source, treat the problem, and develop a plan to keep pests or rodents from returning.
Whether faced with an infestation or looking for preventative measures, here are some tips on What to Look for When Choosing an Exterminator:
- Do your research. Don’t just go with the first company that comes up in Google or in the phone book.
- Ask friends, neighbors, and view review websites like Yelp or Angie’s List.
- Look for companies that are members of local or national pest management associations. These companies have to live up to higher standards than the exterminators that are not part of these associations.
- ALWAYS use licensed pest control companies.
- Call the State Department of Agriculture for more information on a professional pest control company.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Make sure that you fully understand the treatments and all other aspects of the contract BEFORE signing.
- Ask about warranties and guarantees. What do they cover? How long do they last? Upkeep? What do you need to do to hold up your end of the contract?
- Choose based on VALUE, not cost. Just because it’s cheaper doesn’t mean that it’s better. You may end up spending more money in the long run if a quality job isn’t done the first time around.
- Talk to more than one company so you can compare the services, quality, cost, etc.
- Visit www.pestworld.org for exterminators in your area.