Shoo Fly…Don’t Bother Me! How to Prevent House Flies
House flies get their name because they’re the most common fly found in homes (genius, right?). They aren’t very adventurous creatures…usually staying within 2 miles of where they were born. Of course like with all species, you have you’re “wild ones” who have been known to go in search of food up to 20 miles away from their birthing place.
Unlike other beings that use their tongue to taste, house flies use their feet. And talk about a sweet tooth, errr sweet foot, house flies feet are 10 million times more sensitive to sugar than the human tongue. That may be “sweet” for them but it’s not so sweet for us humans. House flies have been recorded to carry over 100 kinds of disease causing germs. This can be a great threat to the health of your home. So what can you do?
How to Prevent House Flies
- Keep a clean home. Clean up spills immediately. Sweep, mop, and vacuum frequently.
- Take out the trash. Remove trash from the home on a regularly. Make sure that trash is placed in a tightly sealed garbage container.
- Keep food stored. Store food in tightly sealed containers (including pet food).
- Don’t forget the pets. Clean up pet waste. Also, don’t leave pet bowls out…flies don’t discriminate between pet food and human food.
- Cover up. If you enjoy having doors or windows open make sure to use screens to keep flies from entering.
Do you have problems with flies? Call a professional to inspect your property to find the source of your house fly infestation.