The time for holiday travel is quickly approaching. The panic, the shopping, and the cooking are all becoming a reality once again and you don’t have time for much else. The last thing you need to add to your ever growing holiday to-do list is a bed bug infestation. The best thing you can do is arm yourself with knowledge to be ahead of the game and use the proven tricks below when returning from your travels!
Things to Know:
- Bed bugs are tricky. They are elusive and great at hiding during the day.
- They have a method to their madness. Their bites leave behind patterns and clusters. While disturbing, this helps identify an infestation.
- Bed bugs are commonly misidentified pests. They are often mistaken for fleas or cockroaches.
- They can live for several months without a meal; on top of that, they can survive freezing temperatures of up to -122 degrees.
- Bed bugs can be found in hotels, homes, schools, offices, retail stores, and even public transportation. Their favorite hiding places are baseboards, wallpaper, upholstery, and the crevices of furniture.
When travelling back home from your holiday visits, leave suitcases in a garage or driveway and take clothing straight to the laundry room to be washed in warm water. This is especially important for college students coming home for winter break.
Bed bug infestations are very serious and require a thorough inspection and intense treatment. If you suspect that you have an issue with bed bugs, call a licensed bed bug specialist immediately.