Contrary to popular belief, pests don’t just disappear when colder weather sets in. Overwintering pests are those that find a warm place to shelter during the winter, most often inside your home! Some household pests thrive year-round because the warmth, water, and food supply in your home allow them to survive even in the harshest weather conditions. Some common winter pests include rodents, roaches, spiders, and bed bugs. For this reason, it’s important that you don’t forget about winter pest control! Here are a few of our favorite winter pest control tips you can use to make your home pest-free.
- Seal cracks and crevices outside your home to keep pests from being able to get in, especially where pipes and utility lines come into the house.
- Replace any loose mortar.
- Replace weather stripping around doors and windows.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from your home and elevate it if possible.
- Keep your home decluttered.
- Use plastic storage instead of cardboard when possible.
- Eliminate moisture and standing water in and around your home (leaky pipes, clogged drains).
- Use door sweeps.
- Repair or replace screens on windows and doors.
- Use chimney screens.
- Ventilate and keep attics, basements, and crawlspaces dry.
- Clean up any food and crumbs.
- Invest in routine pest control from a professional pest control company.
You May Also Be Interested In:
What Causes A Termite Infestation?
Prevent Bed Bugs this Holiday Season
Where Do Rodents Go In Winter?
Why Identifying Spiders is Important for Prevention