As the weather starts to warm up, many of us look forward to spring and all that it brings. Unfortunately, one of the things that it brings is ants. In the springtime, these household pests become more active and start to look for sources of food and water. If you’re not careful, you may find yourself dealing with an infestation. Let’s discuss the different types of ants you’ll encounter in the springtime and how to prevent them from returning.
Different Types of Ants
- Pavement Ants: These pests are typically found in cracks and crevices in concrete or pavement. They are small, black, or brown, and can form large colonies.
- Carpenter Ants: Carpenter ants are larger than other species and are typically black or red. They can cause significant damage to wood structures, as they excavate tunnels to build their nests.
- Argentine (Sugar) Ants: Argentine ants are light to dark brown and are known for forming massive colonies. They are attracted to sweet foods and can quickly become a nuisance.
- Odorous House Ants: Odorous house ants are dark brown or black and emit a foul odor when crushed. They are attracted to sweets and can quickly infest your kitchen.
How to Prevent Ants:
- Keep your home clean: They are attracted to food, so keeping your home clean and free of crumbs is essential. Wipe down countertops, sweep and mop floors, and make sure all food is stored in airtight containers.
- Seal cracks and crevices: These tiny pests can enter your home through the tiniest of cracks and crevices. Seal any openings around windows, doors, and baseboards with caulk.
- Remove sources of water: They also need water to survive, so fixing leaky pipes, and keeping pet bowls and sink dishes dry is essential.
- Use natural remedies: These creatures dislike certain scents, including peppermint, vinegar, and citrus. You can use these scents to deter them from entering your home by placing cotton balls soaked in the scent around the perimeter of your home.
- Call a professional: If you have a severe infestation, it’s best to call a professional pest control service. They have the tools and knowledge to eliminate them and prevent them from returning.
If an ant problem has become more than you can handle, be sure to give your local pest control company a call for a free inspection today!