Centipedes are usually beneficial predators in the landscape. Centipedes are similar to millipedes in appearance, but tend to occur in lower numbers and seldom exhibit the mass migrations that occur with millipedes.
- Range in size, from less than 1 inch up to 5 inches for domestic species and more than 12 inches for exotic species
- One pair of legs per body segment
- Mandibles are capable of injecting venom
- Bright colors are a type of warning to the unwary.
- Good cultural practices around the home, such as limiting mulch close to the foundation and maintaining a well aerated and dethatched yard will help limit population growth and harborage areas.
- Ongoing pest control around the home with granular pesticides and perimeter sprays will also help reduce population growth